2021 Department of the Year Award
The award is open to any administrative department from a U.S. college or university that has improved campus safety. Nominations can be for any initiative, program, or event.
To nominate a department, complete the nomination form at the bottom of this page.
Department of the Year nomination criteria
- Nominations must be for an administrative department at a U.S. college or university (Public Safety, Office of Student Wellness, Campus Life, Public Relations, IT, etc).
- Joint- or multi-department nominations are allowed. For example, if Campus Police, Student Life, and the Office of Communications created a new campus-safety orientation program, the departments can be nominated jointly.
- Nominations can be made by anyone. Students, parents, community members, government officials, and law enforcement officers are welcome to nominate an administrative department. One nomination per department only, please.
Top 25 list
Nominated departments are automatically eligible to be considered for the Top 25 list. The Top 25 list recognizes university departments that have excelled in making their campus safer. The list is compiled annually each fall.
The TOP 3 departments will receive
The first-ranked department is the Department of the Year Award winner. The second- and third-ranked departments are Department of the Year Award finalists. These top three departments will receive the following.
- One complimentary conference pass. If more than one department wins (tie or joint-nomination winner) than one complimentary conference pass will be issued to each winning department. If you have already registered for the conference and are eligible for complimentary registration, your registration payment will be reimbursed.
- A departmental award trophy.
- An award ceremony during the conference.
- A national press release featuring your university’s dedication to campus safety.
- A featured article about your department on the Safe Campus website.
Please note that should the 2021 conference be postponed due to pandemic-related travel concerns, the winning departments have the option of receiving their award by mail or transferring their award ceremony and complimentary registration to the next conference.
Nominee examples include
- Pandemic-related campus response
- Alcohol-abuse reduction programs
- Sexual-assault reporting process improvements
- Mass emergency-notification system implementation
- Crime reduction
- Greek Life safety initiatives
- Joint initiatives with university stakeholders
- Response to a specific crime or emergency incident
1. Be specific! Tell us exactly what actions or initiatives the department has taken to improve campus safety. How is the initiative unique? How has it made a difference?
2. Statistics help. Has your department reduced crime, assault, etc.? Adding data supports your nomination.
3. Departments only. Be sure your nomination is for a department and not an individual.