Before you come
- Bring extra business cards. When you get a card, write a note on the back to remember why you have it. After you return to your office, you may forget who you promised to follow up with if you don’t make a note of it. Always follow up with an email.
- Bring your laptop, tablet, smartphone or a paper notepad. Typing notes during a presentation is OK. Just be mindful of your neighbors and respectful of the speakers. And don’t forget to bring your power chargers.
- Attire. Business casual is recommended for the conference. Conference centers can be chilly, so pack a jacket. Bring comfortable dress shoes for the conference and comfortable walking shoes if you are exploring the city. This year has been unusually cold in Las Vegas.
- Plan your evenings. Get the most out of your trip by exploring the host city. Use websites like Yelp.com and Vegas.com to find great restaurant and show ideas.
At the airport
*click to enlarge map
- McCarran International Airport (LAS). The Las Vegas-McCarran International Airport is located along the Las Vegas Strip just 10 minutes from Treasure Island Resort, the conference hotel.
- Taxi service. Taxis run 24-hours a day along the Strip, Downtown and at the airport.
- Uber and Lyft. Uber and Lyft ride-share service are available in Las Vegas and from the airport.
- Car rental. If you rented a car, follow the signs to the car-rental-shuttle-bus-pick-up area. A shuttle will take you to your car rental company’s lot.
At the hotel – Treasure Island
- Checking in. You will need a government-issued ID (driver’s license) and credit card when checking into your room. Speak to the hotel front desk about early and late check out requests.
- Conference area. The conference sessions are held on the second floor of Treasure Island. It’s easy to pop back to your rooms using the elevators in the conference floor lobby.
- Wi-Fi. There is high-speed Wi-Fi access in your hotel room and in the conference area.
- Fitness center. The hotel fitness center is located on the third floor next to the Spa & Salon.
- Parking. Parking is free in the Treasure Island self-park garage. Valet service is free and available 24-hours a day.
At the conference
- Conference area. The conference area is located on the second floor of Treasure Island. After you exit the elevator, look for the “Safe Campus” sign. The registration desk is near the elevator bank.
- Badge pick up. Pick up your badge and conference-information packet at the Safe Campus registration desk. If your registration included after-hours event tickets, you will receive the ticket when you pick up your badge.
- Choosing sessions. Review the speaker schedule online or in your conference handbook and decide early which breakout sessions you want to attend.
- Session Q&As. Each presentation ends with 10 minutes of Q&A. Get involved and ask questions. If you’re wondering about it, so are others.
- Talk to people. Introduce yourself and exchange business cards or contact information. Sit at a different table each meal period.
- Snacks, meals and drinks. Breakfast and lunch on Day 1 and Day 2 . Coffee and tea will be available during all meal functions. Water will be available in each session room. Breakfast begins at 7:30 a.m. each morning. If you have dietary restrictions, please email email@example.com at least ten days before the conference begins.
- Questions. If you have any questions during the conference, please ask any conference staff member.
After the conference
- Share what you’ve learned. After you return to your office, draft a short email and presentation on what you learned for your coworkers. It will allow you to share your knew knowledge and help justify travel to future professional-development conferences.
- Keep in touch. Review the business cards you collected (with the notes on back) and follow up with the new friends and colleagues you met.